Rain gutters are an essential part of keeping your home and property in good condition. If your gutters become clogged or damaged, water could back up onto the roof, drip down the siding, pool around the foundation and erode the soil in your garden. A little gutter maintenance goes a long way to prevent these problems. Here’s what you need to do.
Clean the Gutters
Plan to clean your gutters at least twice a year – once in the spring and again in the autumn after most of the leaves have fallen. Follow these tips for the best results:
- Set up a sturdy ladder on a firm, level base. If you use an extension ladder, avoid leaning it against the gutter.
- Wear gloves to protect your hands and scoop debris out of the gutter with a trowel, thin plastic scoop or narrow stiff-bristled brush. It’s best to perform this work when the gutters are dry.
- With most of the debris removed, flush out the gutters with a hose.
- If the downspouts are blocked, use a plumber’s snake to grab and remove the clog.
Perform Gutter Maintenance
Once the gutters are clean, perform basic maintenance to keep the water flowing properly:
- Pour water into the gutters. If they drain very slowly, increase the slope toward the downspout to a rate of 1/4-inch for every 10 feet of gutter.
- Check the gutters for rust, flaking, loose connections and leaky joints.
- Add downspout extenders if necessary to deposit water at least 4 feet away from the house.
Consider Installing a Gutter Guard System
If you’re tired of cleaning your gutters, gutter guards may be right for you. This allows rainwater to flow into the gutters like normal, but it keeps leaf litter and other debris out. Gutter covers are becoming the norm for new installations, but you can also retrofit your existing gutters with this solution to enjoy all the benefits it provides.
Schedule Gutter Service or Gutter Guard Installation in Houston, Texas
If you’re unwilling or unable to perform gutter maintenance, leave the job to the professionals at IBP Houston. Our services keep your gutters in good condition to avoid damaging your home and yard. We also install Gutter Guards to reduce the need for future gutter cleaning and maintenance.
Contact IBP Houston today to learn more about our services or to schedule gutter maintenance for your Houston, TX home.